Riding the best recumbent bike is one of the best exercises you can do. Regular biking can significantly improve your cardiovascular health, boost your strength, enhance your flexibility, heighten the mobility of your joints, improve coordination and posture, strengthen bones, and facilitate weight loss.
Not only does cycling offer a wealth of health benefits, but it’s also an easy to do, low impact exercise. Plus, it’s enjoyable. However, despite the benefits that regular biking can provide, sometimes getting on a bike and riding around isn’t always possible. Perhaps you live in an area that isn’t conducive to bike riding, or maybe you work odd hours that limit your cycling abilities. Whatever the reason may be, you shouldn’t have to forego the many advantages that regular biking can offer, and thanks to recumbent bikes, you don’t have to!
Factors to Consider when looking for the BEST Recumbent Bike of 2018
In order to ensure that you are choosing the best recumbent bike for your specific needs, here are several factors that you are going to want to take into consideration, such as size, weight, and comfort.
Below, we’ll discuss some of the most important factors that you are going to want to keep in mind while you are shopping for a recumbent exercise bike.
- The size. Recumbent bikes come in a wide variety of sizes. You want to make sure that you know what size bike can fit into your home, otherwise you could end up buying one that’s too large for your space. Take measurements of the area where you intend on placing the bike, including the width and length of the area. Bring the measurements with you while you’re shopping so that you know the exact size you need.
- You may not even realize it, but you are going to definitely want your recumbent bike to have an adjustable seat that can be moved forward and backward. This will allow you to fit the bike to you, not you to the bike. It also allows for multiple users. Say your husband wants to use it and is, but he’s much taller than you. He can slide the seat backward for his workouts, and you can slide it forward for yours.
- Weight capacity. A factor that many people tend to overlook when they are shopping for a recumbent bike is the weight capacity of the machine. You absolutely want to ensure that the bike can accommodate your weight. Most standard bikes can safely hold up to 250 pounds, though there are several models available that can hold even more weight. Find out how much weight the bike can hold, otherwise you could end up damaging the machine or more importantly, yourself.
- The flywheel. Check out the flywheel, as this is the feature that creates the momentum you experience while you are riding. Some recumbent bikes boast weighted flywheels, which enhances the feeling of being on the road, as it really makes you feel as if you are riding on the road.
- The features. We discussed several different features that are available for recumbent bikes. While some of these features are not a necessity, they can certainly enhance your comfort, which in turn can allow for a more effective workout. The more comfortable you are, the more likely you are to push through your workout. Consider the different features that are available and decide which ones appeal to you the most and would take your workout routine to the next level.
- A warranty. A recumbent bike is a pretty big investment. The last thing you want is to spend a bunch of money, only to find that there is something wrong with the bike or that you don’t like the way that it performs. A warranty can safeguard you from these types of issues, so find out if the bike you are interested in offers one.
Best 3 Recumbent Exercise Bikes that we REVIEWED
|Product||Best For||Our Rating|
|Sunny Health & Fitness Pro (See Price)||Weightloss|
|SF-B1002 Indoor Spin Bike (See Price)||Indoor|
|Sunny Health Indoor Bike (See Price)||Exercise|
|SF-B1423 Indoor Spin Bike (See Price)||Exercise|
If you are interested in taking advantage of all the benefits that a recumbent bike offers, you’re in luck, because there are plenty of options to choose from. However, while having a lot of choices is great, it can be hard to determine which ones offer the most bang for your buck and will truly meet your needs.
To help you choose a high-quality piece of equipment, we’ve scoured the market and done some in-depth research on recumbent bikes. After fully investigating the different options out there, we’ve narrowed down the choices based on overall build, features offered, and other key benefits to present the best recumbent bikes available. Below is a list of our top picks.
1. The Diamond Back 910SR
The 910SR model from Diamond Back offers pretty much everything you could ever want in a recumbent bike. It’s extremely durable, adjustable, and boasts some pretty impressive features.
It features a fully adjustable console, complete with a digital monitor that serves as the control panel for the functions the bike offers – and there are a lot of them. In total, there are 35 different exercise programs and 32 different resistance levels. Simply push a few buttons on the console and you will be able to instantly adjust your workouts and challenge yourself in new ways each time you “ride”. With so many different programs and resistance levels available, you will never have to worry about hitting a plateau, as you will be able to give your body a new experience every time you work out. The digital display on the console is very easy to operate and offers a crystal clear display.
Other features worth noting include:
- A heart rate monitor, so you can keep tabs on your workout
- Two user profiles, so you and someone else can exercise
- A USB port and speakers so you can plug in your digital device and listen to your favorite music
- A rack to hold magazines
- A beverage holder
Of course, features aren’t the only thing that make the Diamond Back 910SR an excellent recumbent bike. It’s made of extremely durable materials and can support up to 325 pound s of weight! The brakes and frame are backed by a lifetime limited warranty and there’s a three year warranty on the electronics and other parts.
The build, features, and warranty offered that come with the Diamondback 910SR recumbent bike definitely make it a top pick.
2. The Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity
Another top-of-the-line recumbent bike is the 900XL model from Experpeutic. The frame and all of the components are constructed of extremely durable materials, allowing it to support up to 300 pounds of weight. The wide seat and backrest will keep you comfortable during workouts, and it’s fully adjustable, so you can get into the perfect position.
In addition to the comfort and durability offered by the Exerpeutic 900XL, this recumbent bike is also outfitted with several great features. An 8 level magnetic system allows you to easily adjust the tension of the bike, and therefore, the resistance levels and get the most out of your workouts. Pulse pads are build directly into the handles (which are situated on the sides of the seat). Just grab a hold of them and you your pulse rate will be showcased on the digital screen. The screen also displays the time, speed, and distance of your workout, as well as the calories you have burned.
This recumbent bike offers a very quiet operation, thanks to the V-belt drive and the precision balanced fly wheel. Quiet operation means that you can listen to your favorite tunes or watch television without being interrupted. And, thanks to the transportation wheels, you can easily move this recumbent bike wherever you want to work out.
This recumbent bike from Exerpeutic is backed by a one year limited manufacturer’s warranty, so you’ll have peace of mind with your investment.
3. The Schwinn 270
Schwinn is one of the best-known names in bicycles, and their 270 model recumbent bike definitely lives up to the company’s reputation. It offers an astonishing 25 different resistance levels and a total of 29 expertly designed pre-programmed workouts. With so many resistance and pre-programmed workouts, you will always be able to change up your routine, workout different parts of your body, and you’ll never get bored.
A DualTrack monitor offers a crystal clear LCD display, which showcases the calories you’ve burned, your heart rate, the miles you’ve “traveled”, and the duration of your workout. You can also prop up a book or a tablet on the display so you can enjoy reading while you’re exercising.
Other key features that the 270 model recumbent bike from Schwinn offers include:
- A built-in fan to keep you nice and cool while you’re working out
- A USB port and speakers, so you can plug in your iPod, iPhone, Android device, MP3 player, or any other device you listen to music on.
- The ability to download your workout information to either MyFitnessPal or Nautilus Connect.
Of course, the design and build of this recumbent bike from Schwinn is exceptional. The seat and back are large and fully adjustable, so you will be able to achieve the perfect, most comfortable position for you. While the seat puts you in a reclined position, it’s slightly elevated, so you’ll be higher off the floor than you would be on other recumbent bikes. The fly wheel is perimeter weighted, allowing for smooth motion and creating a momentum that is very similar to what you would experience if you were riding on the road.
Other important things to note: this recumbent bike can hold up to 300 pounds and features transportation wheels, so you can easily move it from location to location. It’s also backed by a 10 year warranty, a two year warranty on the mechanical parts, and a one year warranty on the electrical components. There’s also a 90 day labor warranty.
The build and features of the Schwinn 270 make it one of the best recumbent bikes on the market, hands down.
Reasons to Purchase a Recumbent Bike
If you have a membership to a gym, there’s no doubt that you have seen a recumbent exercise bike. If you have used one, then it’s safe to say that you already know about some of the benefits that this type of machinery can offer. But why should you purchase one for use at home?
A recumbent bike offers several notable benefits, and owning one of your own will allow you to take advantage of these benefits as often as you would like to. Here’s a look at some of the top reasons why you should consider investing in this type of exercise equipment.
- Low-impact workout. Many exercises put a lot of strain on the body, and that strain can result in pain and injuries. When you’re in pain or injured, your workout goals can be significantly impacted. After all, you aren’t going to be able to exercise if you’re hurt or injured. One of the biggest benefits of a recumbent bike is that it offers a low-impact workout that puts minimal strain on your body. You’re seated in a reclined position, which is not only comfortable, but it takes the weight off of the back and hips, which significantly reduces strain. Plus, you can still get in an intense workout because the movements you will be making burn calories and can help you tone up your legs, glutes, and even your stomach.
- Burn calories. If you are trying to lose weight, working out on a recumbent bike can definitely help. Depending on your starting weight and the intensity you put into your workout, there’s definitely a chance that you will be able to burn plenty of calories each time you “ride” your bike. Increasing the resistance level as you go can help you achieve even more calorie burning. Furthermore, working out on a recumbent bike will help to boost your metabolism, so you will continue burning calories even after you have completed a workout, which is highly beneficial if you’re trying to lose fat and build muscle.
- Improved cardiovascular health. Exercising on a recumbent bike will definitely tone your legs and glutes, and it can even give you a lean stomach; however, those aren’t the only benefits this type of exercise offers. A recumbent bike is a great cardio workout. Several studies have found that doing this type of activity for at least 20 minutes a day will boost your heart rate, which will, in turn, improve your cardiovascular health. As a result, your risk of heart disease will be lower, as well as your risk of several other serious health conditions.
In addition to these outstanding benefits, you’ll just feel better when you work out one a recumbent bike. As you start losing weight and toning your body, your self-esteem will improve, as you will have a more positive body image. Plus, as you build muscle, it will be easier to get around and just enjoy more. And, on top of everything else, working out on a stationary recumbent bike will save you money. Why? – Because you won’t have to hit the gym, which means you can stop paying the outrageous prices for your membership. And since you won’t be going back and forth to the gym, you will also save money on gas. Talk about a really winning situation!
Available Features on Recumbent Bikes
You can purchase a basic recumbent exercise bike that boasts nothing more than the pedals, back rest, handles, and fly wheel, or you can choose one that has different features. Many recumbent bikes on the market offer some pretty impressive features.
Here’s a look at some of the features that you might want to consider for your recumbent exercise bike.
- Information tracking. Several recumbent bikes are outfitted with computers that display a wide range of valuable data that can assist you with keeping tabs on your progression. Time spent riding, distance traveled, and calories burned are just some of the information that a computer can display and store. The data is displayed throughout the workout, letting you know your progression in your workout and encouraging you to push even harder to reach your goals.
- Prep-programmed workouts. Recumbent bikes rely on resistance. As you progress through your workouts, you want to increase the resistance to make them more challenging so that you can keep moving forward and continue to see results. Being able to adjust the resistance level of your recumbent bike so that you can achieve a challenging workout is important. Many models feature displays that enable to you easily control workouts that have been programmed into the bike, and these programs offer different resistance levels. Simply push a button to select the pre-programmed workout and adjust your resistance.
- Built-in speakers.Music can definitely keep you motivated when you’re exercising. Sure, you can wear a pair of headphones or ear buds to listen to your tunes, but the wires can get in the way; and even if you are using a wireless set, the connection can be iffy. You can completely forego the headphones, wires, and connectivity issues by purchasing a recumbent bike that is equipped with USB ports and built-in speakers. Simply plug your device into the USB port, adjust the volume, and you can rock out throughout your workout.
- Built-in fans.There’s no doubt that you will work up a sweat on your recumbent bike. A built-in fan will keep you cool so that you can keep pushing through your workouts.
- Data downloading ability.If you keep tabs of your workouts and your progression with a fitness app, a recumbent bike that allows you to download the data directly from the bike to your device can certainly be handy.
How does a Recumbent Bike Work?
A recumbent bike works similarly to other types of stationary exercise bikes. Obviously, they have a seat, a backrest, foot pedals, and handles. The resistance is usually magnetic and applied to a flywheel. As you pedal, the flywheel generates momentum that replicates the feeling of biking out on an open road.
While using this type of exercise equipment, the muscles, tendons, and ligaments of your lower body are really activated, including your glutes, calves, and thighs. Your abdominal muscles can also get a workout, as you tighten them in order to maintain the position of your legs. Many recumbent bikes are outfitted with programmed workouts that offer different resistance settings. For example, a program may mimic resistances that make you feel as if you are riding up and down hills.
What is a Recumbent Bike?
A recumbent bike is a uniquely designed exercise bike. Unlike traditional stationary bikes that seat you in an upright position high from the ground, a recumbent bike seats you closer to the ground in a slightly reclined position. This position is generally much more comfortable than the upright position. That’s because the reclined position puts less tension on the lower back, which means that you will experience very little – if any –strain. Plus, you don’t have to hold onto handles, which leaves your hands free so that you can read, keep up with the news, check emails, or play a game on a handheld device. Lastly, the lower position means that there is a lower center of gravity, which can be advantageous if you have problems with balance.
When using a recumbent bike, you will burn the same amount of calories as you would with a traditional exercise bike. Plus, since they are more comfortable, you might be more inclined to exercise for longer periods of time and maximize the effects of your workout.
Whether you’re looking to lose weight, build muscle, improve your overall health – or all three – a recumbent bike will certainly allow you to achieve your goal. Purchase one of the three bikes mentioned in this review and you will start seeing results in no time and truly enjoy all the benefits that working out on a recumbent bike offers.