Vuelta Tipping Competition | Stage 10
But today we bid farewell to the south of Spain and the heat that goes with it. The only time trial of the Vuelta was a 47km flattish course suiting the flatland monsters and was set up to be the Bertie, Tony and Fabian show. Set in lovely Salamanca which is a big student city. And being in Spain you know these guys know how to party. And so it was that big Tony Martin, Der Panzerwagen, set up his Mercedes Benz SLK Compressor and dropped some German euro trance on the rest of the peleton, obliterating the competition to win by a minute. Fabian, which his Swiss house music, was not in the same league and ran in fourth. Spartacus for so long has been the gold standard in ITT’s however this year has repeatedly been beaten by Martin. Of course TT’s in grand tours are tough to use as definite gauges. Who has been working for their team more? who has tired legs and who has been saving? I can’t wait for these two to go head to head at the Worlds where it will all be on the line.
Impressive rides for the TT included Taylor Phinney who finished but 6 seconds down on Cancellara. This guy is 21 years old in his first grand tour! His star is but rising fast. Froome also was fantastic and now sits resplendent in the Red Jersey.
At the other end of the results big Tommeke was pumping some Spice Girls out his Renault Clio and minced across the line over 10 minutes down. Tommy tell me it isnt so???
Onto the tipping results and standings and mutiple tippers selected Der Panzerwagen so the tip monies AGAIN jackpot. I think that is 4 stages now!
We have a shake up in the GC! Ash, in his selection of the Swiss Machine, has dropped off the lead and Georgio Fripley has rocketed into the lead! But Ash is only 29 seconds back and AJ has now snuck into third 39 seconds back with 5 people now within a minute of the overall. Exciting stuff!
In the sprint Georgio Fripley is again in the lead on 121 points with Freddo back on 103 points and Tim on 101 points. Still ten people in striking distance here.
In the KOM Woody is still looking AMAZING in polka dots and before you ask, no my bum doesn’t look big its just a polka dot. This is the competition that is going to get hot hot hot in the next week!
No stage tonight, they, you and me all get to have a rest, get a rub down and go for a quick 2 hour recovery spin before fronting the media this afternoon. Wear something kooky and you too might look like Tommy Voeckler on a rest day.
Stage 10 Results
1. MARTIN Tony, HTC-Highroad (thr), in 55:54
2. FROOME Christopher, Sky Procycling (sky), at 59
3. WIGGINS Bradley, Sky Procycling (sky), at 1:22
4. CANCELLARA Fabian, Leopard Trek (leo), at 1:27
5. PHINNEY Taylor, BMC Racing Team (BMC), at 1:33
6. FUGLSANG Jakob, Leopard Trek (leo), at 1:37
7. MACHADO Tiago, Team RadioShack (rsh), at 1:54
8. BRAJKOVIC Janez, Team RadioShack (rsh), at 1:56
9. SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon, Rabobank Cycling Team (rab), at 2:02
10. MONFORT Maxime, Leopard Trek (leo), at 2:06
General Classification After Stage 10
1. Christopher Froome, Sky Procycling (sky), in 38:09:13
2. Jakob Fuglsang, Leopard Trek (leo), at 12
3. Bradley Wiggins, Sky Procycling (sky), at 20
4. Vincenzo Nibali, Liquigas-Cannondale (liq), at 31
5. Fredrik Kessiakoff, Pro Team Astana (ast), at 34
6. Maxime Monfort, Leopard Trek (leo), at 59
7. Bauke Mollema, Rabobank Cycling Team (rab), at 1:07
8. Juan Jose Cobo Acebo, Geox-Tmc (geo), at 1:47
9. Janez Brajkovic, Team RadioShack (rsh), at 2:04
10. Haimar Zubeldia Agirre, Team RadioShack (rsh), at 2:13
blog comments powered by Disqus