Best recumbent bike reviews of 2018 – Recumbent Exercise Bikes
Riding the best recumbent bike is one of the best exercises you can do. Regular biking can significantly improve your cardiovascular health, boost your strength, enhance your flexibility, heighten the mobility of your joints, improve coordination and posture, strengthen bones, and facilitate weight loss.
Not only does cycling offer a wealth of health benefits, but it’s also easy to do, low impact exercise. Plus, it’s enjoyable. However, despite the benefits that regular biking can provide, sometimes getting on a recumbent exercise bike and riding around isn’t always possible. Perhaps you live in an area that isn’t conducive to bike riding, or maybe you work odd hours that limit your cycling abilities. Whatever the reason may be, you shouldn’t have to forego the many advantages that regular biking can offer, and thanks to recumbent bikes, you don’t have to!
Factors to Consider when looking for the BEST Recumbent Bike of 2018
In order to ensure that you are choosing the best recumbent bike for your specific needs, there are several factors that you are going to want to take into consideration, such as size, weight, and comfort.
Below, we’ll discuss some of the most important factors that you are going to want to keep in mind while you are shopping for a recumbent exercise bike.
- The size. Recumbent bikes come in a wide variety of sizes. You want to make sure that you know what size bike can fit into your home, otherwise, you could end up buying one that’s too large for your space. Take measurements of the area where you intend on placing the bike, including the width and length of the area. Bring the measurements with you while you’re shopping so that you know the exact size you need.
- You may not even realize it, but you are going to definitely want your recumbent bike to have an adjustable seat that can be moved forward and backward. This will allow you to fit the bike to you, not you to the bike. It also allows for multiple users. Say your husband wants to use it and is, but he’s much taller than you. He can slide the seat backward for his workouts, and you can slide it forward for yours.
- Weight capacity. A factor that many people tend to overlook when they are shopping for a recumbent bike is the weight capacity of the machine. You absolutely want to ensure that the bike can accommodate your weight. Most standard bikes can safely hold up to 250 pounds, though there are several models available that can hold even more weight. Find out how much weight the bike can hold, otherwise, you could end up damaging the machine or more importantly, yourself.
- The flywheel. Check out the flywheel, as this is the feature that creates the momentum you experience while you are riding. Some recumbent bikes boast weighted flywheels, which enhances the feeling of being on the road, as it really makes you feel as if you are riding on the road.
- The features. We discussed several different features that are available for recumbent bikes. While some of these features are not a necessity, they can certainly enhance your comfort, which in turn can allow for a more effective workout. The more comfortable you are, the more likely you are to push through your workout. Consider the different features that are available and decide which ones appeal to you the most and would take your workout routine to the next level.
- A warranty. A recumbent bike is a pretty big investment. The last thing you want is to spend a bunch of money, only to find that there is something wrong with the bike or that you don’t like the way that it performs. A warranty can safeguard you from these types of issues, so find out if the bike you are interested in offers one.
10 Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes that we REVIEWED
If you are interested in taking advantage of all the benefits that a recumbent bike offers, you’re in luck, because there are plenty of options to choose from. However, while having a lot of choices is great, it can be hard to determine which ones offer the most bang for your buck and will truly meet your needs.
To help you choose a high-quality piece of equipment, we’ve scoured the market and done some in-depth research on recumbent bikes. After fully investigating the different options out there, we’ve narrowed down the choices based on overall build, features offered, and other key benefits to present the best recumbent bikes available. Below is a list of our top picks.
1. The Diamond Back 910SR
The 910SR model from Diamond Back offers pretty much everything you could ever want in a recumbent bike. It’s extremely durable, adjustable, and boasts some pretty impressive features.
It features a fully adjustable console, complete with a digital monitor that serves as the control panel for the functions the bike offers – and there are a lot of them. In total, there are 35 different exercise programs and 32 different resistance levels. Simply push a few buttons on the console and you will be able to instantly adjust your workouts and challenge yourself in new ways each time you “ride”. With so many different programs and resistance levels available, you will never have to worry about hitting a plateau, as you will be able to give your body a new experience every time you work out. The digital display on the console is very easy to operate and offers a crystal clear display.
Other features worth noting include:
- A heart rate monitor, so you can keep tabs on your workout
- Two user profiles, so you and someone else can exercise
- A USB port and speakers so you can plug in your digital device and listen to your favorite music
- A rack to hold magazines
- A beverage holder
Of course, features aren’t the only thing that makes the Diamond Back 910SR an excellent recumbent bike. It’s made of extremely durable materials and can support up to 325-pound s of weight! The brakes and frame are backed by a lifetime limited warranty and there’s a three-year warranty on the electronics and other parts.
The build, features, and warranty offered that come with the Diamondback 910SR recumbent bike definitely make it a top pick.
2. The Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity
Another top-of-the-line recumbent bike is the 900XL model from Experpeutic. The frame and all of the components are constructed of extremely durable materials, allowing it to support up to 300 pounds of weight. The wide seat and backrest will keep you comfortable during workouts, and it’s fully adjustable so you can get into the perfect position.
In addition to the comfort and durability offered by the Exerpeutic 900XL, this recumbent bike is also outfitted with several great features. An 8 level magnetic system allows you to easily adjust the tension of the bike, and therefore, the resistance levels and get the most out of your workouts. Pulse pads are built directly into the handles (which are situated on the sides of the seat). Just grab a hold of them and you your pulse rate will be showcased on the digital screen. The screen also displays the time, speed, and distance of your workout, as well as the calories you have burned.
This recumbent bike offers a very quiet operation, thanks to the V-belt drive and the precision balanced flywheel. Quiet operation means that you can listen to your favorite tunes or watch television without being interrupted. And, thanks to the transportation wheels, you can easily move this recumbent bike wherever you want to work out.
This recumbent bike from Exerpeutic is backed by a one-year limited manufacturer’s warranty, so you’ll have peace of mind with your investment.
3. The Schwinn 270
Schwinn is one of the best-known names in bicycles, and their 270 model recumbent bike definitely lives up to the company’s reputation. It offers an astonishing 25 different resistance levels and a total of 29 expertly designed pre-programmed workouts. With so many resistance and pre-programmed workouts, you will always be able to change up your routine, workout different parts of your body, and you’ll never get bored.
A DualTrack monitor offers a crystal clear LCD display, which showcases the calories you’ve burned, your heart rate, the miles you’ve “traveled”, and the duration of your workout. You can also prop up a book or a tablet on the display so you can enjoy reading while you’re exercising.
Other key features that the 270 model recumbent bike from Schwinn offers include:
- A built-in fan to keep you nice and cool while you’re working out
- A USB port and speakers, so you can plug in your iPod, iPhone, Android device, MP3 player, or any other device you listen to music on.
- The ability to download your workout information to either MyFitnessPal or Nautilus Connect.
Of course, the design and build of this recumbent bike from Schwinn are exceptional. The seat and back are large and fully adjustable so you will be able to achieve the perfect, most comfortable position for you. While the seat puts you in a reclined position, it’s slightly elevated, so you’ll be higher off the floor than you would be on other recumbent bikes. The flywheel is perimeter weighted, allowing for smooth motion and creating a momentum that is very similar to what you would experience if you were riding on the road.
Other important things to note: this recumbent bike can hold up to 300 pounds and features transportation wheels, so you can easily move it from location to location. It’s also backed by a 10-year warranty, a two-year warranty on the mechanical parts, and a one year warranty on the electrical components. There’s also a 90-day labor warranty.
The build and features of the Schwinn 270 make it one of the best recumbent bikes on the market, hands down.
4. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-709
This bike is a cost-effective option for those who are looking for great features at a competitive price. It is also perhaps the most flexible bike, as it supports a very high weight capacity of sitters than a majority of other such bikes in its cost range.
Thus, it is likely to accommodate a broad gamut of people. Some more adaptable abilities are adjustable fore, aft, and handles, and support for the variable resistance. This exercise bike comes with eight levels of resistance due to which it fulfills the requirements of both the naïve and experienced exerciser. It is that customizable!
Even more interesting is the fact that it weighs below 60 lbs., which is unlike most bikes available in the market. This lightweight model is also portable; thanks to the integrated wheels on the front bar and minimal design. This means that even your grandparent can move the bike anywhere in the house.
The bike features an adjustable seat that is well cushioned for ensuring maximum comfort. It also has pedals with a strap due to which feet slipping is almost eliminated. However, you should cover around 5 feet for reaching the pedal, which is not too far to upset you but would rather inhibit stress by being exactly below the seat.
5. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike Exercise Bike
This is a more budget-friendlier and heavier option than the Marcy’s. While the latter lacks heart rate sensors, this bike has it! This model from Sunny Health & Fitness is known for its few improvements in ensuring the most effective workouts without going to a gym.
This recumbent bike is known for its ideal manual magnetic resistance. You can easily adjust it and perform quickly on this fast and accurately running bike. There are eight workout systems integrated, which is sufficient for any exerciser.
Even if you choose a higher number, convenience is still at its peak. The bike allows selecting the aptest resistance level as per your preference. There heart rate sensors do their job but even their location do so. The location is such that you can take the position of hands quite naturally.
A pulse rate monitor allows regulating and retaining the targeted rate. The longer and steadier the increased heart rate; the more is the cholesterol that burns. The seat comes with a relaxed backrest. There is also a cushion version to ensure maximum comfortability while training.
The pedals of the bike have non-slip foot design, whose benefit also applies to the biggest feet. Further, with the associated straps, you can focus on the workout.
6. PROGEAR 555LXT Magnetic Tension Recumbent Bike
This compact, economical bike is ideal for those who wish to conserve space while ensuring comfort and no stress on joints while exercising. The look differs a bit from several recumbent bikes with a thin slider beneath, replacing the solid seat support. As a result, you can slide the seat to the desired position instead of sticking to the prefixed positions.
Despite being smaller than several recumbent exercise bikes, this one can adjust exercisers having a height between 5 and 6 ft 3 inches due to the seat’s adjustable position.
With this model, you get a whopping 14 levels of magnetic resistance. You can regulate it using a tension knob located on the front post. Thus, you can easily set the level accurately at which you need to work.
A single crank and belt drive facilitate a quiet yet robust pedaling. Pedals are big and textured to prevent slipping. The plastic straps add to the overall grip.
7. Goplus Magnet Recumbent Bike
This compact bike is perhaps among the most economical option in this list and offers some basic features. It consists of a manual resistance mechanism featuring a knob and a magnetic brake. There are eight resistance levels so that you can even have a somewhat more challenging workout as per the number of calories to burn.
The bike’s belt drive mechanism works in coordination with manual resistance. Unlike the chain drive mechanism, there is no oiling required. Further, the belt drive mechanism is quite noiseless when at work.
Talking about the seat, it is wide and deep and has enough padding through a significant amount of foam. It also has a backrest but it does not recline. Further, the seat is not adjustable. However, an adjustment is possible from the bike’s mid-portion that allows extending or shortening the length as per your size. Exercisers of heights 4’5’ to 6’0’’ comfortably can fit on this seat.
The bike’s design of Q-factor is like a bonus for those suffering from an injury and wants to recover completely through workouts. In simple terms, this also indicates that the bike facilitates a natural placement of legs on the pedals. In this way, there is no type of stress on the legs. The straps on the pedals keep any inadvertent slippage at bay.
8. Nautilus R614 Recumbent Bike
This recumbent exercise bike is another affordable option, although less affordable than Goplus, but with a solid build and several features, unlike the Goplus model. Designed to facilitate a low-impact cardio exercise without stressing the joints, this bike has the comfortable back support and is simple to mount.
It comes with a balanced flywheel due to which you are assured of not only safe but also quiet workout. Interestingly, there are 20 magnetic resistance levels that provide different intensity options. They are of ECB type, which is perhaps the most preferable form of resistance. A few keys take you on a journey from simple to hard.
Coming to programs, they are 22 in total, including 8 for heart rate control, 9 being profiles, 2 for the fitness test, and two are custom. The heart rate control programs include options for both the beginner and the advanced.
The bike also has an MP3 input port, side bottle holder, cooling fan, and in-console speakers, which are commendable to have at the price at which it is available. The walk-through frame adds to easy mounting and is designed for extra stability. Coming to the pedals, they have straps for your toes to ensure a safe grip.
9. Merax RB1020 Magnetic Recumbent Bike
With a comfortable padded seat, easy seat adjustment, 8-level magnetic tension, and a weight capacity of 380 lbs., this is a new, affordable model making much fame in the market. The assembled unit is neither so light nor so heavy. So, you can easily transport it without much difficulty. To this, add the role of transport wheels in the front and rotating caps in the rear acting as stabilizers.
The seat is ergonomic with foam cushioning on the surface as well as on the backrest. It is fully adjustable although the backrest has no reclination power. Still, you get a superb lumbar support, as the backrest moves along the rail.
The bike’s manual resistance system supports a belt drive system along with eight levels of resistance. The belt drive system ensures less noise and demands less lubrication. The perimeter-weighted flywheel moves in both directions, which means you can go reverse to bring a different twist into your workouts.
10. 3G Cardio Elite RB Recumbent Bike
This is a heavy-duty, upscale, and a sturdy bike with the console in a small footprint providing several programs to keep you driven. A steel frame accommodates an individual’s weight of up to 350 lbs. and height in the range of 5’0” and 6’4”. It contains a lasting, corrosion-resistant coating.
The seat is flexible to adjust in four different ways. It is wide and features a contoured exterior and thick padding for ensuring superb comfort. Made up of mesh, the backrest is in a lasting frame and offers reliable breathability.
The bike uses a long transmission belt which connects the pulley and the flywheel. Evidently, since it’s a belt transmission not a chain, the bike’s operation is almost silent, while the belt doesn’t require any lubrication.
This 3G cardio bike comes with a mechanized magnetic resistance encompassing a small motor and a magnetic brake together supporting 16 levels. Thus, the resistance is adjustable from the handlebar controls or at the console. You need to connect the bike to the circuit (100V – 240V) using the equipped power cord whose input is at the bottom.
The flywheel is a much appreciable feature. As it is a perimeter weighted one, you are ensured of a steady and uniform drive along with a leveled pedaling motion. Another commendable aspect is the narrow Q-Factor that eliminates the risk of stress on the ankles and knees while using the pedals with straps.
Reasons to Purchase a 3 wheel Recumbent Bike
If you have a membership to a gym, there’s no doubt that you have seen a recumbent exercise bike. If you have used one, then it’s safe to say that you already know about some of the benefits that this type of machinery can offer. But why should you purchase one for use at home?
A recumbent bike offers several notable benefits, and owning one of your own will allow you to take advantage of these benefits as often as you would like to. Here’s a look at some of the top reasons why you should consider investing in this type of exercise equipment.
- Low-impact workout. Many exercises put a lot of strain on the body, and that strain can result in pain and injuries. When you’re in pain or injured, your workout goals can be significantly impacted. After all, you aren’t going to be able to exercise if you’re hurt or injured. One of the biggest benefits of a recumbent bike is that it offers a low-impact workout that puts minimal strain on your body. You’re seated in a reclined position, which is not only comfortable, but it takes the weight off of the back and hips, which significantly reduces strain. Plus, you can still get in an intense workout because the movements you will be making burn calories and can help you tone up your legs, glutes, and even your stomach.
- Burn calories. If you are trying to lose weight, working out on a recumbent bike can definitely help. Depending on your starting weight and the intensity you put into your workout, there’s definitely a chance that you will be able to burn plenty of calories each time you “ride” your bike. Increasing the resistance level as you go can help you achieve even more calorie burning. Furthermore, working out on a recumbent bike will help to boost your metabolism so you will continue burning calories even after you have completed a workout, which is highly beneficial if you’re trying to lose fat and build muscle.
- Improved cardiovascular health. Exercising on a recumbent bike will definitely tone your legs and glutes, and it can even give you a lean stomach; however, those aren’t the only benefits this type of exercise offers. A recumbent bike is a great cardio workout. Several studies have found that doing this type of activity for at least 20 minutes a day will boost your heart rate, which will, in turn, improve your cardiovascular health. As a result, your risk of heart disease will be lower, as well as your risk of several other serious health conditions.
In addition to these outstanding benefits, you’ll just feel better when you work out on a recumbent bike. As you start losing weight and toning your body, your self-esteem will improve, as you will have a more positive body image. Plus, as you build muscle, it will be easier to get around and just enjoy more. And, on top of everything else, working out on a stationary recumbent bike will save you money. Why? – Because you won’t have to hit the gym, which means you can stop paying the outrageous prices for your membership. And since you won’t be going back and forth to the gym, you will also save money on gas. Talk about a real winning situation!
Available Features on Exerpeutic Recumbent Bikes
You can purchase a basic recumbent exercise bike that boasts nothing more than the pedals, backrest, handles, and flywheel, or you can choose one that has different features. Many recumbent bikes on the market offer some pretty impressive features.
Here’s a look at some of the features that you might want to consider for your recumbent exercise bike.
- Information tracking. Several recumbent bikes are outfitted with computers that display a wide range of valuable data that can assist you with keeping tabs on your progression. Time spent riding, distance traveled, and calories burned are just some of the information that a computer can display and store. The data is displayed throughout the workout, letting you know your progression in your workout and encouraging you to push even harder to reach your goals.
- Pre-programmed workouts. Recumbent bikes rely on resistance. As you progress through your workouts, you want to increase the resistance to make them more challenging so that you can keep moving forward and continue to see results. Being able to adjust the resistance level of your recumbent bike so that you can achieve a challenging workout is important. Many models feature displays that enable to you easily control workouts that have been programmed into the bike, and these programs offer different resistance levels. Simply push a button to select the pre-programmed workout and adjust your resistance.
- Built-in speakers. Music can definitely keep you motivated when you’re exercising. Sure, you can wear a pair of headphones or earbuds to listen to your tunes, but the wires can get in the way; and even if you are using a wireless set, the connection can be iffy. You can completely forego the headphones, wires, and connectivity issues by purchasing a recumbent bike that is equipped with USB ports and built-in speakers. Simply plug your device into the USB port, adjust the volume, and you can rock out throughout your workout.
- Built-in fans. There’s no doubt that you will work up a sweat on your recumbent bike. A built-in fan will keep you cool so that you can keep pushing through your workouts.
- Data downloading ability. If you keep tabs of your workouts and your progression with a fitness app, a recumbent bike that allows you to download the data directly from the bike to your device can certainly be handy.
How does a Recumbent Exercise Bike Work?
A recumbent bike works similarly to other types of stationary exercise bikes. Obviously, they have a seat, a backrest, foot pedals, and handles. The resistance is usually magnetic and applied to a flywheel. As you pedal, the flywheel generates momentum that replicates the feeling of biking out on an open road.
While using this type of exercise equipment, the muscles, tendons, and ligaments of your lower body are really activated, including your glutes, calves, and thighs. Your abdominal muscles can also get a workout, as you tighten them in order to maintain the position of your legs. Many recumbent bikes are outfitted with programmed workouts that offer different resistance settings. For example, a program may mimic resistances that make you feel as if you are riding up and down hills.
What is a Recumbent Bike?
A recumbent bike is a uniquely designed exercise bike. Unlike traditional stationary bikes that seat you in an upright position high from the ground, a recumbent bike seats you closer to the ground in a slightly reclined position. This position is generally much more comfortable than the upright position. That’s because the reclined position puts less tension on the lower back, which means that you will experience very little – if any –strain. Plus, you don’t have to hold onto handles, which leaves your hands free so that you can read, keep up with the news, check emails, or play a game on a handheld device. Lastly, the lower position means that there is a lower center of gravity, which can be advantageous if you have problems with balance.
When using a recumbent bike, you will burn the same amount of calories as you would with a traditional exercise bike. Plus, since they are more comfortable, you might be more inclined to exercise for longer periods of time and maximize the effects of your workout.
Final Word on Recumbent Bikes
Whether you’re looking to lose weight, build muscle, improve your overall health – or all three – a recumbent bike will certainly allow you to achieve your goal. Purchase one of the 10 best recumbent bikes mentioned in this review and you will start seeing results in no time and truly enjoy all the benefits that working out on a recumbent bike offers.